Governance 2014 Trustee Nominations
Watch videos from each of our nominees and learn more about them. Then, join us on November 10 and 17 as we vote to affirm three of these leaders to serve. .
OCCUPATION: Chief Financial Officer, Division of HCA
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST: Station Hill Deacon, Media Team, LIFEGroup Leader
STATEMENT OF FAITH:I’m humbled and grateful that Jesus chose to suffer and die on the cross as a replacement for me—even though I’m still a sinner and totally undeserving of His grace. Through His grace, I strive to be obedient to God’s will and live for Him. I believe the only source of truth is Scripture, and it’s our responsibility to witness to an unbelieving world.
Stephen B. Moore
SPOUSE: Stephanie Lyn
CHILDREN: Jennifer Scott (married to John), Jeanette
Booth (married to Mason), Sarah Conatser (married to
Barry), Perry Ausbrooks and Katherine Anne Moore, 7
OCCUPATION:Financial Planning & Investment Management
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST: Deacon, Life Stewardship Class Leader,
RockBridge Foundation Ad Hoc Trustee, Convalescent Care Team Member, Deacon Chairman (2009), Deacon Team Leader
STATEMENT OF FAITH:I accepted Jesus at 12, grew up in church, and attended a Christian University. Even though I checked all the boxes, I still desired a personal relationship with Him. Fortunately, Jesus keeps pursuing me, has redeemed me, and gives me hope and assurance through the body of Christ. My personal relationship with Him allows me to live in the joy of my salvation as I desire to be conformed to His image each day.
W. Dennis Moses
CHILDREN:Lara (married to Scott), Brandon, Matt (married to Laurel), Josh (married to Andrea), Justin (married to Emily), and Zach, 6 grandchildren
OCCUPATION: Religious Institutional Banker
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST: Deacon, Table Co-Leader Men in Ministry, Deacon chairman (2010), Stewardship, Ministry (2006-2010), Stephens Minister (7 years)
STATEMENT OF FAITH: I’m striving to live for Christ—to be like Him with the help of the Holy Spirit so I may be a blessing to others. My life verse is Colossians 1:27b: “Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
CHILDREN: David (married to Rebecca), Bland (married to Teri), and Wade (married to Amy)
OCCUPATION:Physician/Radiologist, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST: Trustee, Deacon, Worship Choir, Sunday School
Teacher, Small Group Leader
STATEMENT OF FAITH:As a 9-year-old boy, I accepted Jesus Christ as Savior because of the faithful model and prayers of godly Christian parents. I believe that Jesus is the source of forgiveness, the basis for authority in life, and the hope of eternal life. As a Christian I seek to pattern my life after Matthew 6:33 and 1 Peter 3:15.
Gail “Skip” Patterson
CHILDREN: Victoria Aebischer and Frank
OCCUPATION:Retired President of Archer Daniels
Midland Shipping Co. (Division of Archer Daniels Midland
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST:Deacon, Worship Choir Leadership
Team, Vacation Bible School Teacher, Media Team, Kairos Prayer Counselor (2008-2012), South Africa Mission Journey (2008)
STATEMENT OF FAITH:I believe Jesus Christ is the way, truth, and life, and that no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6). I believe I’m called to live a life of faith, ordained by Him and through Him. By His grace, I’ll endeavor to live for Him.
CHILDREN: Laura and Kathryn
OCCUPATION:Retired; Formerly LifeWay Editor (1984-2008), Minister of Education (1977-1983), and Pastor (1975-1977)
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST:Deacon, Substitute Teacher for Senior
Adult Class, Kairos Prayer Counselor, Prayer Team (Station Hill Campus), Class Secretary: Men’s Early Bible Study, Staff Resource Team (2009-2012), Adult LIFE Group Teacher (2003-2005), South Africa Mission Journey (2008), ESL Assistant Teacher (2008)
STATEMENT OF FAITH:I was saved and baptized in 1967 at First Baptist Church in Elk City, Oklahoma. I believe Jesus is the Son of God and that faith in Him is the only way to salvation and eternal life. I seek to live in faith and obedience to His Lordship and serve His kingdom with the gifts He’s given me. I find peace in knowing the Lord is always with me and will never forsake nor leave me at any time.
CHILDREN:Ryan (married to Sarah), Tyler (married to Kayla), and Kyle
OCCUPATION: Industrial Packaging Sales
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST:Worship Choir, Worship Choir Leadership Team, LIFE Group Leader, Adult Sunday School Teacher, Young
Marrieds Sunday School Teacher, Deacon, Mission Journeys, Ottawa Mission Journey (Co-Leaderx2), Project Pearlington Mission Journey (Co-Leaderx7), Worship Choir Leadership Team Leader, Missions Team, Rockbridge Foundation Trustee
STATEMENT OF FAITH:I believe God is holy and sovereign, and that Jesus lived and died to save me from my sin. I’m thankful for His grace and the hope of eternal life through
Him. My goal is to live in a way that glorifies Him and points people in His direction. My desire, as Ephesians 3:17-19 says, is to be rooted in Him and to comprehend the length, width, depth, and height of his love—to be filled with His fullness.
CHILDREN: Colin, Carrie, and Meredith
OCCUPATION: Retired from AT&T (since 1998)
SERVICE AT BRENTWOOD BAPTIST: Trustee Chairman,Deacon (1992-1998), Preschool Sunday School Teacher (1992-1995), Budget & Finance Committee
(1995-1998), Brentwood Baptist Business Manager (1998- 2002), Stewardship Team (2007-2009) Chairman (2009), RockBridge Foundation Advisory Trustee (2009), Trustee (2010-2013), Chairman (2012-2013)
STATEMENT OF FAITH: John 3:16 says it in the simplest and most straightforward way: “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” This gift was freely given through God’s grace and is available to all who acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Qualifications for Trusteees
- A nominee must be one who has demonstrated toward Brentwood Baptist Church and God’s kingdom the agape love described in 1 Corinthians 13—patience, kindness, humility, and self-sacrifice.
- A nominee’s life must reflect the fruit of the Spirit described in Galatians 5.
- A nominee must be at least 25 years of age and have been a member of Brentwood Baptist Church for a minimum of three years at the time service begins. (Exception: A deacon nominee must be a member for a minimum of one year.)
- A nominee must reflect and have demonstrated spiritual maturity, godly wisdom, and a committed faith that is evidence of the lordship of Jesus Christ in his or her life.
- A nominee must have demonstrated a consistency in stewardship by tithing to the church at a minimal level of giving.
- A nominee must be an active participant in Brentwood Baptist Church and must demonstrate a commitment to the vision, mission, objective, values, and goals of the church.
- A nominee must be willing to follow scriptural principles for conflict resolution, maintain confidentiality, and make decisions objectively without bias to particular areas of ministry.
- A nominee must be viewed as demonstrating a high standard of the Christ-like life and be free from behavior that would negatively affect the ministry of the church including, but not limited to, sexual immorality, gambling, the use or distribution of drugs (except as prescribed by a physician), and alcohol.
- A trustee may not serve as a ministry team leader, an active a deacon officer, a member of a standing committee, or an employee of the church at the same time the person serves as trustee. A person serving in one of these positions may be nominated and elected as a trustee, but he or she must resign the conflicting position prior to assuming the role of a trustee.