Back Get to Know Your Minister: Steve Layton
May 8th, 2014
Name: Steve Layton
Title: Discipleship Minister, Brentwood Campus
Where are you from originally?
Where were you educated?
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary -
Doctorate of Ministry (2004) and Master of Divinity (1993)
Samford University -
Associate (1987) and Bachelor (1989) degrees
How did Jesus change your life?
I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior on March 30, 1971 when I was 10 years old. I was at a revival at Walker’s Chapel Baptist Church in Fultondale, Alabama. The pastor was preaching on boldness and made the statement that “some people are afraid of the water.” He meant they're afraid to follow Jesus’ example and be publicly baptized. I wanted the world to know I wasn't afraid to proclaim Jesus or be baptized, so I asked Jesus into my heart. I was baptized the following Sunday, April 4, 1971.
When where you called to ministry?
I accepted the call on September 5, 1982, was licensed on May 6, 1984, and was ordained on September 21, 1986—all at First Baptist Church in Fultondale.
What's your wife's name?
Melinda Taylor Layton
Do you have kids?
Kristen Patton (married to Reid)
Meaghan Kincade (married to Brent)
John Davis (married to Megan)
What's your philosophy or heartbeat for ministry?
I'm a disciple-maker at heart. My clear life calling is to equip and encourage people on their journey toward Christ-likeness.
What jobs did you have before Brentwood Baptist?
Associate Pastor of Teaching & Discipleship (NorthPark Baptist Church, Trussville, AL)
Church Consultant, South Central Region (LifeWay Church Resources)
Minister of Christian Education (Lakeside Baptist Church, Birmingham, AL)
Associate Pastor – Minister of Education (First Baptist Church, Alexander City, AL)
Interim Pastor (First Baptist Church, Alexander City, AL)
Minister of Education & Youth (First Baptist Church, Fultondale, AL)
Minister of Youth (First Baptist Church, Fultondale, AL)
Manager of Restaurant Operations (Burger King Corporation)
What's your vision for Brentwood Baptist?
Simply stated, I desire to see people formed, conformed and transformed in the likeness of Christ.
What's one cool God-story from your time here?
One story occurred when a lady approached me in January 2013 and asked for the new JourneyOn Today Bible Reading Guide. She shared that she wasn't a Bible reader, but decided to take the challenge and read her Bible every day that year. Later, she thanked me for the challenge to read God’s Word daily and said for the first time in her life she read the Bible every day for an entire year. She went on to share how much she'd learned and how God had blessed her through her reading. She ended the conversation saying she had developed a daily Bible reading habit she was committed to for the reminder of her life.
JUST FOR FUN
Who's your favorite person in the Bible (beside Jesus)?
Peter and Moses! I relate well to Peter’s personality and Moses’ leadership skills.
If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
Beyond “Where did Mrs. Cain come from?” I'd ask Him, “What are my next best steps to become more like You?”
What do you like to do in your free time?
1. Spend time hanging out with Melinda.
2. Anything that includes friends and BBQ.
3. Gardening in the Brentwood Baptist Community Garden.
4. Exploring local fish stores, aquariums, and online marine communities.
5. Reading management books and articles.
What are some interesting facts about you?
1. I'm a marine hobbyist and have a reef aquarium at home. In my last office, I maintained a 65-gallon reef tank with each of the Finding Nemo fish.
2. I grew up a fan of rock and roll music, but when moving to Brentwood Baptist I requested the names of all of the country music artists that attended church here. I then purchased each of their current albums, as well as country music’s top ten albums, so I could learn the culture and talk intelligently about the artists and music. I'm now a huge country music fan.
3. Melinda and I put five children through Auburn University and followed with an encore of three weddings in under three years. (Yep, we’re broke.)
4. One of our sons has a national championship ring from AU where he was Aubie the Tiger.
5. I play bass guitar. During and following high school, I played trombone and bass guitar in a couple of rock bands, then played with a couple of contemporary Christian bands during my young adult years.
What are some words that describe you?