WHAT IS IT AND WHY ARE WE DOING IT?
4th and 5th Grade students who are actively involved in a LIFE Group on Sunday mornings and/or a Wednesday night LIFE Group will be considered to serve as student leaders.
Students will have the opportunity to serve in a variety of areas of Children’s Ministry with the main focus being in the Marketplace experience.
Three main reasons exist for providing this leadership opportunity for students:
- Spiritual Growth. We believe that God calls all Christians to serve Him in their everyday lives and through the ministry of His church. Through serving Him, God helps Christians learn more about Him and His plan for their lives. Our prayer is that those who serve will grow in their knowledge of God and increase their commitment to Him.
- Leadership Development. We want to provide a safe, yet challenging environment for older children to develop and use their God-given talents and abilities to serve. Allowing them service opportunities and training now, will hopefully help prepare them for spiritual leadership as they grow into teens and adults.
- Ministry Growth. As our church continues to grow, so does the Children’s Ministry area. Particularly in the Marketplace area, there is a need for more leaders.
WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS?
Students chosen to serve as leaders will have the following expectations:
- Regularly spend time in Bible Study and prayer with God.
- Attend scheduled rehearsal times when required. Must attend the rehearsal immediately prior to the Sunday you are scheduled to serve.
- Arrive at 8:30 on the Sunday you are scheduled to serve for sound check and rehearsal.
- For most services areas, the student leader is expected to only serve during one hour and attend their LIFE Group at the other hour. So, leaders would typically be serving during the hour they would attend worship with their families.
- To set a Godly example in behavior and attitude.
- To notify Brentwood Baptist staff or volunteer coordinator when need for absence arises.
- A commitment form must be read and signed by the student and a parent before consideration of being able to serve.
- Attend required orientation training prior to serving.
HOW CAN 4TH AND 5TH GRADERS SERVE?
The primary place where student leaders can serve will be Marketplace. But consideration can also be given to serving in a younger child classroom or doing some organization and clean-up work in the Children’s area.
Marketplace --Vocal Team, Drama, Booths, Tech/Sound, Teaching/Speaking, Food Prep
Other Areas of Service
—Assist in younger children classroom, organize and clean in Children’s Area (not on Sunday morning).
PROCESS FOR BECOMING A STUDENT LEADER
Online Interest Form
- A short interest form for each student must be filled out. Click here for the form.
- Student serving in leadership positions are required to complete an orientation training time PRIOR to serving in Marketplace or any other area.
- Orientation dates will be offered throughout the year for students who are interested in serving. Upcoming training dates for 2014 will be announced soon!
Training & Rehearsals
Training and/or rehearsal times will be held on an on-going basis and those committed will be expected to attend.
- Training meetings will be held every 2-3 months most likely on Sunday afternoons or evenings.
- Those serving on vocal/worship team may require additional rehearsal time that will be held on Wednesday nights during KidLife Music. The student leader will be expected to rehearse on the Wednesday night immediately prior to the Sunday they are on the worship team.
- After attending the initial orientation meeting, students and parents will sign a “Service Covenant” indicating that you understand the commitment and responsibility to serve in the Children’s Ministry.
- This will also be a reminder of the expectations of student leaders.
- Failure to uphold the covenant can result in no longer being able to serve as a student leader.