The gentle are blessed, for they will inherit the earth.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.
Read the scripture above and use the questions below to meditate on today's reading.
- The characteristic in this verse can be translated gentle, humble, considerate, meek. How are these words perceived in our society, especially for those wanting to get ahead in life?
- Jesus described Himself as “gentle and humble in heart,” and yet He could be combative with others and even used a whip to cleanse the temple area. Do you think these different aspects of Jesus can be reconciled? If so, how?
- Gentleness entails having an accurate view of yourself, so that you are tempered and gracious in the way you act toward others, recognizing that you have been comforted by God’s grace. How may mourning over your poverty in spirit (vv. 3-4) cause you to be gentle in spirit towards others?
- It’s interesting that the gentle are the ones who “inherit the earth.” You would think that it is the tough and those willing to run over everyone who get the prize. But in God’s Kingdom, it is those who have been gentled by God’s grace and who extend it to others who are great in God’s economy. What perspective and attitude will allow you to be “gentle” towards others?
- Read and reflect on the first 11 verses of Psalm 37:
1 Do not be agitated by evildoers; do not envy those who do wrong. 2 For they wither quickly like grass and wilt like tender green plants. 3 Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. 4 Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart’s desires. 5 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act, 6 making your righteousness shine like the dawn, your justice like the noonday. 7 Be silent before the Lord and wait expectantly for Him; do not be agitated by one who prospers in his way, by the man who carries out evil plans. 8 Refrain from anger and give up your rage; do not be agitated—it can only bring harm. 9 For evildoers will be destroyed, but those who put their hope in the Lord will inherit the land. 10 A little while, and the wicked person will be no more; though you look for him, he will not be there. 11 But the humble will inherit the land and will enjoy abundant prosperity.