Don’t give what is holy to dogs or toss your pearls before pigs, or they will trample them with their feet, turn, and tear you to pieces.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.
Read the scripture above and use the questions below to meditate on today's reading.
- Is the “spray and pray” method of evangelism always effective, where you tell anyone and everyone at any time your gospel presentation, or is there room for discernment?
- Who might this passage be referring to when mentioning “pigs” and “dogs”?
- What do “pearls” represent?
- What might be situations where you may have to “protect your witness” and exercise restraint?
- Christ is obviously not giving us a blanket excuse to shrink back and not tell people about Him, so where is the balance between being as outgoing as possible with the gospel and exercising righteous discernment?