The walls provide the framework.
Make memories through shared experiences to build identity and strong relationships.
Proverbs 20:7; Proverbs 22:6; 1 Corinthians 4:16
Each family is made up of different personalities and dynamics. In that context, doing things together will ensure your relationships grow strong and serve as a stabilizer away from the home.
The purpose behind each experience or memory is to ultimately unite family members around specific core traits that inherently characterize that home.
When a home has God's design in mind, the intent behind our planned experiences has eternal resolve. The traits we pursue to live out in which one's home is uniting around are biblical traits. The gospel of Christ is threaded throughout our conversations.
Shared experiences aren't just feel good experiences for the moment, but move us forward in understanding true intimate community that encourages and edifies.
Things one might say:
- "Nobody will cooperate."
- "It's too challenging."
- "It takes too much planning."
- "We don't like being together."
- "I'm not a fun parent."
While some of these may or may not be true, be encouraged to get in there and make planning a shared experience and creating memories a priority.
Resist the temptation to be motivated by "wants" and be moved into actions by the "needs." Look past the surface and the moment. Have vision for the impact that each simple step is building toward.
How the Church Will Partner & Encourage:
- We want to champion and support ALL families! Our desire is to equip, assist, and resource homes in being engaged in meaningful, shared experiences.
- We also desire to be family to those in our congregation who need it. Because of various dynamics in one's home, there are times when our church can meet this need for community, fellowship, and belonging.
Actions, Markers, & Milestones:
- Serving Together – Local service projects, mission opportunities, mission journeys, etc.
- Sports Travel Teams – A distinctive opportunity for ministry
- Family Nights – Evenings with a purpose (games, movies, etc.)
- Family Camp – Glorieta Conference Center in New Mexico
- Family Catalyst Events – Children's camp, student retreats, church mission journeys, etc.
- Dinner at Grandparents – Celebrating family heritage through storytelling
- Lord's Supper – Taking it together as a family
- Find a You-Pick Farm
- Family Reunions